Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing #7

Wow! I thought I loved Google already--now I love it even more. I was aware of some of the applications already. However, I learned a lot more exploring these tools.

One Google tool that our family has already explored is Picasa. My husband has had the opportunity to travel with his job quite a bit. He has a Picasa site so that we can see pictures while he is traveling. Our family has enjoyed that. We've also used Google Earth at school. I know that there are some books linked to Google Earth--you can "travel" to the places mentioned in the books. I haven't tried this yet with students, though I hope to get to it this year.

Although I have used the advanced function before, I never noticed that you can search by file format. That is very nice! I would love to see SMARTboard formats added to the list. I searched "Dewey Decimal" and "ppt" file format--I may never need to make another PowerPoint again! At least I won't have to start from scratch!

I LOVE Google Scholar--I had no idea you could search that way! I often need to see research on various topics--how convenient! I typed in "Accelerated Reader"--lots of hits as you can imagine. That will definitely be useful.

I explored iGoogle--practiced setting up a custom homepage. I wish I could set that up at school! I know we can't do that. Fortunately, I can still access Google, though!

This was one of my favorite activities so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment