Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing #5


I explored Flickr--what a neat site. I have been meaning to take a look as my daughter's Girl Scout troop set up a Flickr site to share troop photos. I LOVE the Creative Commons portion. I am an elementary school librarian at an Australian-themed school in the U.S. It is not always easy to find great photos of the land down under for our research projects. I found lots of stuff I can use--including this photo of a sea turtle, Great Barrier Reef, Cairns, Australia by In Veritas Lux. Unfortunately, it is probably blocked by our school district. I'll have to check on it when school resumes.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, we have those issues with blocked sites etc.
    Sometimes if you download the picture at home then you can open it at school. Or I have used Picasa a Google product - It is another way you could share pictures:
    http://picasa.google.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is an Australian themed school? Do reply, please! I was an exchange librarian at Clapham Primary School in Adelaide for a year and have an abiding love for the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the turtle picture. Flickr is great for photo resources, especially the Creative Commons section. Brace yourself because as you go through the next several "things" you are going to find more tools than you can imagine or possibly use all at once. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our mascot is a koala--the whole school is the "outback" and we even celebrate Australia Day! We have murals of Australia, the Great Barrier Reef, and Mem Fox-inspired koalas. It's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete