Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing #11

One of my volunteers first told me about Library Thing earlier this year. She owns over 40,000 books--more than our school library! She is working on cataloging her collection through Library Thing.

It comes as no surprise that many Library Thing users are librarians. What an easy way to catalog books! I cataloged a few in my personal children's collection--and wished it were so easy at school! I don't know if I will catalog more because my home collection is rather fluid--books coming and going all of the time. I simply don't have the storage to continue purchasing books (which I love to do) and keep the old ones, as well. The librarian in me doesn't mind sharing books with others!

Although I may not use it for my personal collection, I know I'll return to the website. I wonder how the search engine will work when traditional methods fail? Perhaps non-librarian users might enter an "unauthorized" search term that will help me find a "mystery" title!

I thought the "chat groups" were interesting, too. It might be a good place to find out about new books and upcoming local events.

No comments:

Post a Comment