Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing #19

It was interesting to see the list of Web 2.0 awards. I was familiar with some sites, but have never heard of many. I enjoyed exploring several. I really liked Lulu and the ability to publish a book. This could be used for classrooms or schoolwide projects. It would be fun to do a schoolwide writing project and give students the opportunity to join in and become published. There are also many fundraising opportunities, as well. I thought the calendars could be a particularly fun fundraising opportunity. I'm thinking about reading Kehret's Shelter Dogs with my 3rd-5th grade students, then doing some sort of fundraising project for a local shelter. Maybe we can make a calendar featuring the "Pets of [our school]" and sell them to raise money. That could be a lot of fun!

Google Docs is great because it allows several people to work on the same document together from any computer. That would be useful for anything requiring a team contribution--whether by students or teachers.

I enjoyed taking a look a biblio.com. That could be a useful source to locate used or out-of-print books. I have a couple of titles to try when I return to school!

Finally, Vu Find was such a great search engine for library books. I loved the ability to search with faceted results (narrow the search by clicking on various facets of the result), the ability to find "more like this" and the ability to "text this" with search results. I'm sure teens would enjoy that feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment